We all know how awesome bats are, right?
Well here are some fun facts to get you through your day:
- All UK bat species use echolocation to navigate and hunt for insects in the dark.
- A tiny pipistrelle can eat up to 3,000 insects in a night.
- Things we get from bat-adapted plants include dates, vanilla, bananas, breadfruit, guavas, Iroko timber, balsa wood, sisal, Tequila and chewing gum!
- Bats are more closely related to humans than they are to mice.
- The majority of the world’s bats eat insects – just like British bats. In the tropics bats also eat foods like fruit, flowers, frogs, fish, blood, even other bats.
- Bats usually only have one baby a year and can live for up to 30 years.
To find out more about these marvellous mammals why not visit www.bats.org.uk