Ecology Training Academy launched by Wildwood Ecology
Our first on-line training course: Bat Roost Survey Fundamentals. During this course we will cover all the basic principals and introduce a deeper understanding of a preliminary bat roost survey within the following chapters:
1. Why bats are legally protected – at the end of this chapter students will be able to understand why bats are legally protected and how to obtain a survey licence.
2. Understanding the needs for a bat roost survey – at the end of this chapter students will be able to identify the needs of a project and confidently establish the aims and objectives of a bat roost survey.
3. Preparing to undertake a bat roost survey – at the end of this chapter students will be able to safely prepare for a bat roost assessment, create a training plan to improve skills and knowledge and identify what equipment and resources are required.
4. Buildings, trees and other structures – at the end of this chapter students will be able to understand why and how bats use natural and artificial structures and be able to identify a range of potential roost features.
5. Preliminary Roost Assessment (PRA) walk-through – at the end of this chapter students will be able to confidently categorise the roost suitability of a structure and tree.
6. End of course message and additional resources – at the end of the final chapter students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of undertaking a bat roost assessment and create a career action plan.
Unsure if it’s for you?
Here are couple of FAQ’s that will help you decide if one of our Wildwood Training Academy courses is right for you.
Who are these courses suitable for?
Although elements will suit most ecologists, our courses have been specifically created for university students who are finishing their degree and are thinking about a career as an ecological consultant, or have secured their first role as an ecological consultant. The course is for those working or seeking to work in the UK, although the principals may be used elsewhere around the world too.
What will I learn after taking this course?
After taking our Ecology Training Academy course on bat roost survey fundamentals, participants will be able to successfully assist and participate in a roost assessment, so they can confidently apply for a career in the ecology sector within the UK.
Richard Dodd, Principal Ecologist