Development Licenses and Mitigation

Code of practice for planning and development

Development Licences
& Mitigation

Where a development or activity affects a legally protected species a licence may be required in order for works to be lawfully undertaken. This could include works that would damage or destroy the habitats of, or disturb, a protected species. We can help you secure a:

  • Bat licence (all species)
  • Dormouse licence
  • Otter licence
  • Badger licence
  • Water vole licence
  • Great-crested newt licence

Our specialists will prepare the mitigation licence application and detailed method statement on your behalf, consulting with relevant stakeholders as necessary. On approval of the licence we will implement the mitigation strategy and undertake any remaining ecological post-construction monitoring and reporting conditions. We have an excellent record of securing development licences enabling project works to proceed.

Bat Mitigation Class Licence (BMCL)

We are pleased to announce that Richard Dodd and Alex Pollard are Registered Ecological Consultants with Natural England and can apply for a Bat Mitigation Class Licence for sites that meet certain criteria.

The bat mitigation ‘low impact’ class licence allows a registered ecological consultant to interfere with certain bats and their roosts, such as a development or demolition where a day roost for common pipistrelle or night roost for brown long-eared bats has been confirmed.

The savings in both time and money can be substantial compared to sites where a full mitigation licence is required. Contact us to see if your site qualifies.

Working without a licence

In certain circumstances some minor works can be undertaken without a licence. Our experienced team will work with you to provide reasonable avoidance measures and onward support.

If your project requires a European Protected Species licence or for further advice, please contact us.

Protected Species

Wildwood Ecology has expertise in undertaking surveys for all British protected species and understands their ecological requirements.

Primary Ecological

Our Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA)* can assist with your planning proposal or land purchase

Primary Ecological
Appraisal Lite

Where a development or activity affects a legally protected species, a licence may be required in order for works to be lawfully undertaken.