Skip to content

Mitigation Design and Licences 

Mitigation licence experts

Mitigation Licences

Where a development or activity damages or destroys habitat or disturbs a legally protected species, a mitigation licence will be required for works to lawfully proceed.

Our mitigation licence experts will design, review, prepare, and submit the licence application and all associated documentation on your behalf before implementing the strategy. Supervising high-risk works and undertake any remaining post-construction monitoring and reporting.

Protected Species

We can help you secure a mitigation licence for the following protected species:

• Bats (all species)
• Dormouse
• Otter
• Badger
• Water vole
• Great-crested newt
• Barn owl

Bat Mitigation Class Licence (BMCL)

We have Registered Ecological Consultants with Natural England who can apply for a Bat Mitigation Class Licence for sites that meet certain criteria.

The bat mitigation class licence (or sometimes referred to as a ‘low impact’) allows a registered ecological consultant to undertake certain low impact activities with certain bats and their roosts, such as a development or demolition where a day roost for common pipistrelle or night roost for brown long-eared bats has been confirmed.

The savings in both time and money can be substantial compared to sites where a full mitigation licence is required. Contact us to see if your site qualifies.

bat box check
JS - Smooth newt May19 (2)

District Licensing

District Licensing for great crested newt is a new system of licensing providing developers and householders with a quicker, cheaper, and risk-free way of dealing with great crested newts when they are applying for planning permission. Through NatureSpace, Local Planning Authorities in the South Midlands can now authorise development at the same time as granting planning permission.

The new voluntary scheme opened in February 2018 and is available to all developers and householders. If you enter the scheme all your survey and mitigation needs are covered under the District Licence – giving you complete legal certainty and saving you time and money.

If you are applying for planning permission in the South Midlands and need the assistance of a licensed and experienced great crested newt ecologist to complete your application form, or would simply like to know more, please do get in touch.

Working without a licence

In certain circumstances works may be undertaken without the need for a licence. Our team will work with you to demonstrate there is minimal impact on the protected species. Please contact us for further information about your site and proposed works.