Road and Bridge Maintenance Programme, Monmouthshire
Sector: Civil Engineering
Client: Kaymac Marine
An inspection and maintenance programme contract was awarded to Kaymac Marine for a series of land bridges across Monmouthshire. The client required ecological expertise where protected species surveys were likely to be present and provision of professional advice.
On behalf of the client Wildwood Ecology:
- Undertook bat, otter, nesting bird and invasive non-native species surveys.
- Guided the client in discussions with the local planning authority and Natural Resources Wales to produce a pragmatic solution to enable maintenance works to be undertaken.
- Provided advice on ecological issues, wildlife legislation and planning policy, with onward support.
- Prepared a European Protected Species mitigation licence application.
- Implemented a series of mitigation measures including new roost creation, nesting bird provision and post-development monitoring.
All ecological issues were successfully addressed and overcome through close liaison with the contractor, allowing inspections, maintenance and improvement measures to be implemented successfully.