Highways Ecological Maintenance Programme, Monmouthshire
An inspection and maintenance programme contract was awarded to Kaymac Marine for a series of land bridges across Monmouthshire. The client required ecological expertise where protected species surveys were likely to be present and provision of professional advice as part of a Highways Ecological Maintenance Programme.
On behalf of the client Wildwood Ecology:
- Undertook bat, otter, nesting bird and invasive non-native species surveys.
- Guided the client in discussions with the local planning authority and Natural Resources Wales to produce a pragmatic solution to enable maintenance works to be undertaken.
- Provided advice on ecological issues, wildlife legislation and planning policy, with onward support.
- Prepared a European Protected Species mitigation licence application.
- Implemented a series of mitigation measures including new roost creation, nesting bird provision and post-development monitoring.
All ecological issues were successfully addressed and overcome through close liaison with the contractor, allowing inspections, maintenance and improvement measures to be implemented successfully.