Pre-commencement Ecological Survey and Support, South Wales
Client: Velocita Energy Developments Ltd
Location: Rhondda Cynon Taff
A full planning application was granted in 2011 for the erection of an eight turbine windfarm at the top of the Rhondda Valleys. Following approval, the client needed to put together a cohesive team in order to address pre-commencement planning conditions and provide support during the construction and post-construction phases.
On behalf of the client Wildwood Ecology:
- Guided the client through discussions with the local planning authority to agree on pre-commencement ecological surveys and methodology going forwards.
- Supported the team as the ecological clerk of work to deliver the aims and objectives of the approved wildlife protection and habitat management plans.
- Provided advice on ecological considerations for site induction purposes and onward weekly support throughout the construction phases.
- Represented the client on the habitat management committee.
- Designed and implemented a monitoring programme to demonstrate the effectiveness of the governmental land management scheme and a new grazing regime, making recommendations as appropriate (e.g. stock exclusion).
- Undertook post-construction National Vegetation Classification (NVC) monitoring.
All ecological issues were successfully addressed and overcome through close liaison with the main contractor with planning conditions discharged or amended accordingly, allowing energy production to commence in August 2013.